Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Granola Bars

Warning: These are addictive. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The original recipe for “New Zealand Oaty Bars” is one that I used for my food project when I was in 4-H. I’m not sure where it’s from, though. In my version, I reduced the margarine from ½ to ⅓ c. and, of course, made allergy-friendly substitutions. We have to take a break from them here for a little bit because Earth Balance, our favorite dairy-free margarine has changed their ingredients! I'm going to try to see if I can find any more of the old ones before I have to find a new brand.

Granola Bars

⅓ c. margarine
2 c. gluten-free rolled oats (192 g)
¼ c. sugar
1 Tbsp. soy “nut” butter
¼ c. Enjoy Life chocolate chips (50g)

Melt margarine and stir in sugar and oats. Add soy “nut” butter and chocolate chips and mix well. Press the mixture into a 9x9 microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave on high for 3½ minutes. Cool until close to room temperature. The refrigerate for 15-30 min. before cutting into bars. If they are crumbly, they’ll still be yummy enjoyed with a spoon in a bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment