Friday, January 21, 2011

A Couple of Favorites

Tonight I'm posting a couple of semi-new favorite recipes. But first, I have to post a picture of my favorite taste-tester!




Now for the recipes...

First is the absolute best Gluten-Free Biscuit Recipe I've ever come across! After a year long search and several failed attempts, I've finally found the one! I found it at http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-biscuits-406047, but of course, I altered it slightly, so I'll post my version, too.

The Best Biscuits

4 Tbsp. Earth Balance margarine
1⅓ c. cornstarch
1¼ tsp. xanthan gum
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
¾ c. rice milk
1 tsp. white vinegar

Preheat the oven to 375° and grease a baking sheet. Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add rice milk and vinegar. Mix together well. The dough will be soft.
Drop 6 to 8 biscuits onto prepared baking sheet and bake for about 13 minutes, or until starting to brown.


I know the picture is not the best, but I was jumping for joy when I took it!

The next recipe has become a recent favorite. I made these muffins on Thanksgiving morning and have made them several times since. I altered the recipe for Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins found in The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook by Cybele Pascal to come up with these...



Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

1/2 c. canola oil
3/4 c. maple syrup
15 oz. can pumpkin
3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/4 c. (150 g) oat flour
1 1/4 c. (200 g) brown rice flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. Craisins

Preheat oven to 350° and grease muffin pan or fill with liners. Using an electric hand mixer set on medium, combine canola oil and maple syrup. Add pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Mix. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Fold in Craisins.
Bake in the center of the oven 30-35 minutes for 12 regular muffins, or about 20 minutes for 24 mini-muffins.



Hope you enjoy these! We sure do!

No comments:

Post a Comment