Sunday, August 15, 2010

End of Week Review

Well, I was going to post on Thursday after we visited the allergist, but I was too frustrated and angry. On the positive side, Evan does not need to see a dermatologist for his eczema at this time. But the allergist was just very discouraging about everything. I told her I would like to try a probiotic because I've been reading some very good things about them and what they can do for eczema, food allergies, and even his Toddler's Diarrhea. She pretty much said it would be a waste of my time, but she wouldn't stop me from doing it. So, long story short, I am going to have one of our local health food stores order the one I want for me. Another thing that really ticked me off was that she was very discouraging about me wanting to go allergy-free at our home so that we can eat together safely as a family. She said it would be too hard for us to adjust and that it wasn't necessary. Aside from the fact that if we are eating things Evan can't have, we would have to deny him if he wanted something we had on our plates, we could cause him harm if we kiss him or if he gets some crumbs or, God-forbid, if he needed mouth-to-mouth! The allergist keeps saying that she isn't worried about him having any sort of reaction from contact, only if he ingests it. Well, then why did this happen Friday night??



Dan was playing with Evan and kissing his cheek and Evan broke out in this rash in the exact spot where Dan was kissing him. It had been about three hours since he'd had anything (Skittles) and nearly seven hours since he'd had lunch (which included several of Evan's allergens)! Very frustrating and sad to see how easily a reaction can occur. Dan is especially sad and feels guilty, although I keep telling him it wasn't his fault- he didn't know. Evan still has little bumps on his cheek 48 hours later, although it's not all red like it was. It doesn't seem to be bothering him right now either. Still, just very frustrating.

On a happier note, I have found a new obsession. Felt food! I fell in love when I first discovered it on etsy last year. My goal is to make Evan some felt food for his birthday. We even bought a little bookshelf today to use as his "grocery store" to keep all the food. I can't wait, but I still have just over two months til Evan's birthday, so I guess I'll have to! I finished my first piece tonight. It's a banana- one of Evan's favorite foods. I found a tutorial online and got started there, but made quite a few modifications. The original banana was completely separate from the peel, but I decided to stitch them together to hopefully make it a little sturdier. I have always been pretty crafty (I think), but I haven't sewn by hand much. I'm sure it will get easier and faster as I go. Now I just have to decide which felt food item to start on next!

3 comments:

  1. The Banana looks great Michelle! Sorry about your allergist woes. Have you considered switching to another allergist? Also she is not a part of your family, and you being the mother, can choose what is best for your child. I say try the pro-biotic. If they don't end up helping, at least you tried them. Also I think it is awesome that you want to have an allergy free household. I would do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Michelle! The banana is so cute! I'm glad you are doing the blog, since I don't get to see you all very often any more. I think it is great you and Dan want to avoid the foods Evan is allergic to, to have an allergy free household. Why not? You seemed to have great success with your family dinners last week, and I hope you keep them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Aimee and Leah, for the encouragement! We have considered switching to another allergist, but it doesn't look like there is really any other option here. If you ask around at the food allergy support group, everyone goes to our dr or one other. We have friends who use the other one and there are some things we would not like about him either- for instance, not retesting, but reccomending mom does a food challenge! YIKES! So, for now, we're sticking with what we feel is the lesser of the two evils.

    ReplyDelete