Thursday, August 19, 2010

Evan's New Favorite

I have really been struggling to come up with a replacement for Evan's Enjoy Life cookies now that we have to get rid of sunflower oil, too. It seems like everything I make, he either just likes the batter or eats a little bit and then wants nothing to do with it. Today, I found huge success in a recipe for Blondies from Sophie-Safe Cooking. When I finished mixing them up, I offered Evan "a taste" of the batter- one of the joys of egg-free baking! I gave him a little off my finger and he immediately yanked the spatula out of my hands and put it into his mouth. When he had licked it clean, he ran to the kitchen, yelling "A taste! A taste!" so I gave him more. Then, when I gave him a blonde brownie after lunch, he devoured that, too. Hooray!!! And I thought they were one of the best allergy-free treats I've made so far. They don't taste like they're missing anything.

1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. rice milk
1 1/2 c. oat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl until the batter is smooth. Pour and spread the batter into a greased 9x9 pan. Bake for 25 minutes at 350.





3 comments:

  1. That's great! I'm glad you found a recipe that he likes. It sounds delicious. I think I will be making these soon. Do you buy Gluten free oats, or are regular oats ok for you to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oats I have are gluten-free and the oat flour I have (which is also expired!) is not. He is doing okay with it, but when I buy more, I wil get gluten-free oat flour. I haven't seen any yet, but haven't made it to any of our health food stores since I started looking. I know I can grind my own in the food processor, but the noise really scares Evan, so I try to be super quick with it. And yes, the brownies are delicious. I will be making them again soon- maybe even tomorrow. I am making cupcakes for my birthday and if Evan doesn't like them (which is likely given his history with cupcakes), I'll be making blonde brownies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just won that book on a giveaway! I'm so excited to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete